Friday, November 9, 2012

Deep thoughts while walking the dogs


I know I should probably be doing something more useful with my time to day but I just feel the need to get this down on paper.

               So much futility in the world today huh? Unimaginable horror and tragic loss of life, everywhere!
How can one human being treat another human or animal for that matter with such senseless remoteness or hate? Where did that come from? I don’t profess to have the answers or more to the point the inclination to stand in the way of harm to stop such stupid behavior. I am not attempting to, ‘stand on the higher ground’ here either; I was, many years ago in, ‘the service of my country’ and thank God (I should change that phrase as you’ll see later) I didn't see any meaningful, ‘Action’. So I don’t need to boast about being in a ‘special service’ and having killed for my country. I am one of the fortunate few who will hopefully go to my grave having harmed NO ONE.

Surprise! I’m not going to ramble on about being anti war and maybe sing you a tune or two, no this is not about that either. I’ll get to the point: what is it ALL about? The big questions you ask yourself, usually in later life or maybe after a life threatening situation (not in my case, thank God….stop that God shit Kevin). Call it an epiphany while walking my dogs this morning or something that has been brewing for a while now. Maybe part of the reason for these thoughts, over the last few weeks I've been witness to the biggest side show on earth as two men embarrassingly battle for complete power over the most powerful country on this planet both of them citing GOD as being on their side. How we as mankind actually made it out of our caves baffles me to this day. We've traveled to the moon, designed amazing technologies that yesterday was only science fiction, drugs that have let us live longer and healthier lives and stopped pain and suffering everywhere. In the last century alone mankind has leaped forward tenfold, we are indeed very fortunate to be living in an exciting and wondrous time.

OK so here it is folks; Why Oh why are we still dealing with this GOD thing?

Alright so just after we left the cave the ones that succeeded where the ones that grouped together and fended of enemies and very big game, yep safety in numbers, makes sense so far. Until one of the star gazers decided upon him/herself (probably him as he owns the big club) that this whole thing is way beyond his thinking ability and he also conveniently sees a way to make a free meal ticket. Just by the mere fact of looking at the stars and thinking, dare I say it, a guy called Darwin comes along and gives him a few extra brain cell connections more than the rest of the tribe. Wallah!  He then invents GOD. How else could all the daily calamities occur, someone / thing must be in charge, if we appease and worship this invisible GOD maybe he’ll keep that nasty tyrannosaurus from eating who the hell he feels like every tea time. OK so far I buy it, It all makes sense and much later because of this so called GOD the successful tribes design shrines which in turn makes humans stay put and sow seeds. Yup it all makes sense…I buy it. My subscription to National Geographic has finally paid off!
Fast forward a few millennia and a few billion lives later that have been murdered and mutilated in the name of GOD. We read in history how many of the various civilizations successfully used religion to control the masses, how else could you control an uneducated usually hungry and contempt people from lynching you in your ivory castles and usually for very good reason.

Sadly most of you have probably stopped reading this by now as this is blasphemous and the writer will probably go to a fiery hell for eternity for even thinking such wickedness. Most of us have been programmed from early childhood to, ‘BELIEVE’.  
Mum for a little while forced us to go to Sunday school, my happiest memories were singing the songs but the Jesus thing was a kind of leap of faith for me. Fortunately for us the other choice was catholic I am so glad as a child I did not have to withstand the heavy hand and forced programming that many of my friends had to endure.

During times of extreme sadness and loss in my life I have even prayed to this unseen GOD of ours. For many years when asked, I always replied….agnostic! I believed that if Jesus Christ were to appear before my very eyes and say, ‘hey you got it wrong mate and get on your knees…NOW! Over the years I have battled with these thoughts; am I a hypocrite? Should I bottle under and just have faith and be happy knowing there is a heavenly father who will always steer me in the right direction. One day I will go to heaven and meet up with all those loved ones; such endearing love can never be lost forever…could it?

I think of myself as being a spiritual person and I feel a glimmer of hope in our future. It makes sense that there should be some rules; we can’t all just go around murdering each other. We are all a family (there’s a song) and if we don’t look out for one another then we are just unintelligent savages. Life as we know it is meaningless. We owe it to ourselves from everything we as a race have learned from our irrational history. Protecting ones borders may seem to make sense in the short term but from a point of view of a civilization it makes absolutely no sense. While there is a, ‘them and us’ mentality there will always be conflict. Security just equates to mean bigger and more evil weapons of destruction. Although I have an attachment, I don’t think of myself as a Canadian or a Brit I have traveled enough and proud to feel that I am a man of this beautiful world. Beating ones chest around the world does not make for making friends.

Getting back to the god thing and what this blurb seems to be about. I’m sure I’m not alone in feeling very positive about a, ‘new world order’ sounds pretty deep huh! I’m not completely sold on it…yet! But getting there. As the scientist are getting closer every day to the very meaning of life; every other week now it seems they look further and further into the cosmos almost to the beginning of time itself. They even think there are other universes out there in fact one theory shows that there could even be mirror universes! yeah you got it, other mirror Kevin Firth’s writing as I write, pretty confusing stuff. Don’t laugh who was it said that men would never fly? 
Is there a creator to all of this? …..Hmm let me think about that for an eon or two. This might bring us right back to what we started except it isn't a GOD not as we know it anyway, most definitely not singular.

How is it that when I feel positive and strong, things just seem to come my way, when I really put my mind to something I am usually pleasantly rewarded. Those days when I’m the opposite, well we won’t talk about those days. I just saw a video only yesterday showing a French Buddhist monk who’s head was completely wired during an experiment showing that his brain during meditation showed an unusually high reading of that part of his brain that shows happiness. Scientifically I believe we are at the cusp of great new advances in exactly what that gray mass in our heads is actually capable of.

This, 'new order' might sound silly to some but I am beginning to believe we all have an inner consciousness that we are learning to control if that is the correct term to use. When we can each leave our ego behind and concentrate on the bigger picture only then will we find our inner happiness and with that a global awareness will eventually take place….Peace! and humankind's next big step. 

Just a thought ya know! come on Tig and Pantera.

Playa Panama 06:00 9th Oct 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment